Monday, March 12, 2018

Spring Forward or Fall Behind

Daylight saving times makes no sense.

What's the purpose?

I must warn you, I'm a little grouchy as a I write this, albeit most people of Indiana are too this Monday morning. Especially those hard to wake up little children.

How can a simple thing like turning the clock ahead one hour cause so much trouble?  Two times a year we must fall back one hour in November and spring forward one hour in March. 

From a mom's point of view, the morning was lighter 3 days ago when my kids were walking down to the bus, now it's pitch black.  A few years ago, I had my mom make BLACK Pittsburgh Steelers curtains for the boys because 8:30 bedtime was as bright as the noon of the day.  The sun doesn't go down until after 10:00 in the summer.  Our circadian rhythms are all screwed up.

Star gazing in summer.

When I was a kid...

Summertime was a blast.  We had NO daylight savings time. I think it was 2007 when the entire state of Indiana went to this.  We played in the dark til we were tired of itching from the mosquitoes.

Ahhh the simple joys of..

Flashlight tag

Catching lightening bugs

Gazing at the stars

Sounds of frogs, crickets, owls, and other night creatures

Our kids can still do those things of course, but it's almost midnight before we get to bed and in this house I have early morning risers (which isn't a bad thing) but we have to deal with grouchy.

Catching lightening bugs.


It's snowing outside, summer nights will be here before we know it.  I love all seasons, but summer really is for fun and relaxing. This will be the last summer before my oldest goes to college. She's like me in the since we like simple things. She's my nature girl.  She is old enough to stay up and gaze the stars with me, the problem is, I'm old enough to want to go to bed by 9!

Legislators may have invented Daylight Savings Time, but the Father, Almighty created day and night.  Why we mess with his creation is beyond me, free will I guess.

"Yours is the day, yours also the night; you have established the luminaries and the sun.  You have fixed all the bounds of the earth you have made summer and winter."  
                                                                                                  Psalm 74: 16-17

I choose to let God control my time.  I sometimes interfere and that's usually when things go wrong.  Right now, we live in time, but there is no time in eternity.  Big picture, Daylight Savings Time is only temporary so I will...

Get over myself

I'm a hot mess today. I woke up with about 30 extra wrinkles under each eye.  Since giving up coffee for lent, I realized, bad idea, didn't factor in the time change. It's a real sacrifice today. 

It's time for me to wake up, get over myself, and do something. 

So I'll chose to spring forward from the couch or I will fall behind in my chores.

Who really is in charge of your time?








No comments:

Post a Comment