Thursday, February 7, 2019

Winter and the Wild Goose

Embracing the Chill


The older I get, the more I love winter. Last week, we were in a deep freeze with negative temps and wind chills. My children and I bundled up and headed out for a bit. I wanted them to feel what bitter cold is.  I reminded them of the homeless and of people that have to work out in all weather.  The air was 'breathtaking'. We managed 40 minutes before returning inside to hot chocolate. The next day warmed up and we spent a few hours playing in the woods. The small brook was frozen. The kids played 'hockey' with sticks and chunks of ice. My soul was happy.

Winter is a time for 

Stillness
Quiet
Deep breathing
Embracing all the elements
Slowing down
Hearing the lone goose call.


The Wild Goose

The Holy Spirit has been called the Wild Goose. The Holy Spirit speaks to me louder in the quiet, cold, silence of winter. I'm sure because my life slows down and I have time to contemplate, reflect and be quiet enough to actually listen. For I know, he is always speaking, but I don't always hear.

Sshh....listen...
A beautiful sound of winter.

If only I could have captured the call of the goose.  

A few days later, I saw a flock of geese flying north.  A tell-tell sign of spring.  Did you know that when geese fly they take turns being a leader so that no one goose has to bear the headwind long?  Also, if one goose goes down, two other geese follow him, stay with him until he dies or if he is able, then they will catch up to the flock or try to find another flock to fly with together.  They honk to encourage each other. The V is so that all can see what is front of them.  The migration route never changes, the geese do.

The Celtics call the Holy Spirit the Wild Goose because it cannot be tamed. It has a tendency to scare and surprise.  Have you ever been attacked by a goose?  My neighbor has two geese that have come at a me a few times.  I understand where the term 'getting goosed' comes from!  It is scary and hilarious at the same time.  The Holy Spirit cannot be tamed, it is frightening, but when embraced and used for its purpose it is an orchestrated beauty of encouragement, love and support.  It guides you to your destination.

May you find in the quiet, stillness of winter, the voice of the Holy Spirit to guide you on your earthly migration to heaven.
Hugging winter!

How do you embrace winter?

Psalm 51:7 "Thou shalt sprinkle me with hyssop, and I shall be cleansed: thou shalt wash me, and I shall be made whiter than snow."





No comments:

Post a Comment