Thursday, April 16, 2015

Annoying God in Prayer


Prayer is like an annoying child.  This is my reflection after my morning Bible reading.  Imagine yourself looking up at Jesus and pulling at His robe.  Here is the conversation:

Scenario  1: 
You:  "Jesus I want a cookie. Jesus, I want a cookie. Jesus, can I please have a cookie? Jesus, I will do anything, I'll be good, I won't sin, if you just give me a cookie."
Jesus: "My child, I see you are hungry and since you were persistent, I will give you your cookie."
You: "Thank you Jesus!  I am satisfied now."

Scenerio 2:
You:  "Jesus I want a cookie. Jesus, I want a cookie. Jesus, can I please have a cookie? Jesus, I will do anything, I'll be good, I won't sin, if you just give me a cookie."
Jesus: "My child, I see you are hungry and since you were persistent, I will not give you a cookie but rather an apple."
You:  "Jesus, I don't want an apple, I want a cookie."
Jesus:  "Dear child, a cookie is not bad, but this apple is better for you."
You: "Humph." Pouting with your head down, you take the apple and eat it, after a while you say: "Thank you, Jesus. I am FULFILLED! This apple tasted better than I could ever imagine."

Luke 11:5-10

And he said to them, “Which of you who has a friend will go to him at midnight and say to him, ‘Friend, lend me three loaves, for a friend of mine has arrived on a journey, and I have nothing to set before him’; and he will answer from within, ‘Do not bother me; the door is now shut, and my children are with me in bed. I cannot get up and give you anything’? I tell you, though he will not get up and give him anything because he is his friend, yet because of his impudence[a] he will rise and give him whatever he needs. And I tell you, ask, and it will be given to you; seek, and you will find; knock, and it will be opened to you. 10 For everyone who asks receives, and the one who seeks finds, and to the one who knocks it will be opened.

Sometimes I feel like the annoying child, asking for the same thing over and over and over.  Every once in a while,  I realize maybe I am asking for the wrong thing. His plan is always better. I love this Bible verse. It gives us permission to be an annoying child and gives me understanding on how I need to be patient with my own children.   A simple prayer to say is "God, whatever your will, make it mine." We have permission to ask this over and over and over and over....

Is your prayer annoying?

Don't think of the things you didn't get after praying. Think of the countless blessings God gave without you asking him.

Be unceasing in prayer [praying perseveringly]; Thank God in everything no matter what the circumstances may be, be thankful and give thanks, for this is the will of God for you who are in Christ Jesus [the Revealer and Mediator of that will]. (1 Thessalonians 5:17, 18 AMP)


No comments:

Post a Comment