Tuesday, January 20, 2015

A Book Report and Satori

I recently read a book that I think was meant for me to read at this moment in time.  It's been a long time since I have done a book report, a dreadful assignment as a youngster, yet I feel compelled to report this read!  Since I am on this path to try to live more simply, this novel spoke to me.  "The Way of the Peaceful Warrior. A Book that Changes Lives" by Dan Millman.  There is also a movie made that is very good.  A brief synopsis: a young Dan is an unhappy college student seeking something but he doesn't know what. A wise teacher, Socrates or "Soc" enters his life to show him the way of a peaceful existence.

Soc tries to teach Dan to quiet his mind.  Live in the moment.  He asks him many times, "What time is it?  Where are you?"  The answer should be "it is now, I am here."  I need to remind myself this because my mind is constantly chattering, never shuts up. The moment I awake my to do list is already forming (although it does motivate me to get out of bed).  Sometimes I have multi-tasked so much that I forget the task I started out to do!  But there are a few moments when I can quiet my mind, I will explain later.

Another gem I read is when Dan asked Soc if he thought "rich people are any happier than poor stiffs like us."  His answer "If you have enough money to satisfy your desires, you are rich...or you can cultivate a simple lifestyle of few desires that way you always have more than enough money." Aren't the best times the simple ones?  Laughter, listening to kids sing, watching a silly puppy, seeing God's creation by walking through the woods, and of course running (although thank goodness my hubby can afford my $100 running shoes).

Satori as explained by Soc "A Zen concept...the warrior's state of being; it occurs at the moment with the mind is free of thought, pure awareness the body is active, sensitive, relaxed; and the emotions are open and free." "The final step for the warrior is to expand his clarity into daily life. Then satori will become your reality."  When I read this I immediately thought "that's how I feel after a good run!"  Alas, I found the meaning of the "RUNNER'S HIGH!"

I won't tell much more about the book because it is a wonderful study to read. I will however pass along some Soc and Dan tidbits that may help on life's journey.  "Just be happy now! Love is the only reality of the world...there is no problem, never was and never will be.  Release your struggle, let go of your mind, throw away our concerns, and relax into the world. No need to resist life, just do your best. Open your eyes and see that you are far more than you imagine."  Thank you Dan Millman for your quiet mind.  Your book surely has changed lives.  I plan on reading more of your thoughts.

Soc kept telling Dan to "open your eyes!"
Are you looking but not seeing?

Dan Millman #quoteA story about a man's journey and can help you with yours. I recommend it to everyone.   Be present - it is the only moment that matters. ~Dan Millman~  Image: www.designbylynda.com  The time is now, the  place is here. stay in  the present. you can  do nothing to change  the past, by Dan Millman #1397



No comments:

Post a Comment